Capt. Sparrow's Compass

CAPTAIN! Jack Sparrow had a compass that would lead him to what his heart most desired. I am afforded no such luxury, not that it would be of much use. Just like Capt. Sparrow, I am unsure what I desire, at least within the realm of Game Design ideas. Or moreover, I want them all. I want all the flittering thoughts to take root and bloom.  But alas, like the needed receipt on the car console, they have taken flight on the winds of chaos into the parking lot of despair, lost to time. 
Anyway...So we need a heading. In which direction shall we find something that we can sink our metaphorical teeth into? I am one who generally starts with a concept of the setting or lore first. My interest piqued by something intriguing that I feel compelled to play out. To see the dance between the what if and the how to begin to unfurl. Sometimes the thread pulls right loose, and there is not much to it. You might find yourself creating slack somewhere else to give more room for the initial idea. 
So what will be the bustle in our hedgerow?  Gnomes! But Gnomes in an Urban Magic Realism setting. Gnomes battling with machinations intended for carnage.  Let me explain. I follow on Patreon Will Sutton - Zandoria. 
https://www.patreon.com/Zandoria/about
And while his Gnomes and Trolls are not set in an Urban setting, they evoke that traditional Fae sense of awe and wonder. Mischievous little workers and warriors, hiding in crevices, living lives behind the facade of our world, just gets me excited. This is in part due to the book Gnomes by Wil Huygen, I loved reading it as a child. It greatly informed my view on these little folk. 
So I thought maybe what the Tabletop world needed was some fierce Gnome action. Not really, but it was an idea that I felt needed prodding. 
The idea of these little folk making contraptions of destruction sounded awesome.  Playing it out in tiny battles on the tabletop was something that needed to happen. 
So now we have our heading. We are going to figure out how to have small skirmishes on the tabletop with Gnomes and their contraptions of destruction. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once More Into the Ether!

MANIACS!; or how I came to understand the Gnome way of life.